Rodents are great pets, especially for young kids. Rodents such as guinea pigs look cute, they are fluffy and easy to take care of. Guinea pigs are not like dogs or cats, you can contain them in a specific spot, and this makes it safer for them and easy for you to keep them in check. You do not have to train them or take them to the park for walks. As long as you pick a good cage, spacious enough to allow them room to play, the pigs will be okay.
Top 5 Best Guinea Pig Cage: Editor’s Pick
Guinea pigs do not have any specific needs. A high number of first-time owners is getting the wrong cage. Ideally, the cage does not need to be expensive and lavish, but it needs to meet a few specifications to keep your pet healthy and happy. Look at the cages below and choose one that meets your needs.
- 1 Top 5 Best Guinea Pig Cage: Editor’s Pick
- 2 Best Guinea Pig Cage Reviews
- 3 1. Midwest Guinea Habitat Plus– Best for One Guinea Pig
- 4 2. Mid West Homes for Pets Dog Crate | iCrate Single Door
- 5 3. Living World Deluxe Habitat– Best Hybrid Guinea Pig Cage
- 6 4. Pawhut 64-Inch Wooden Outdoor Cage – Best Cage for Outdoor Use
- 7 5. Homey Pet 37-Inch Open Top Cage– Best Stackable Cage
- 8 6. You&Me Living the Dream Small Animal Cage– Best Indoor Rabbit Cage
- 9 7. Wabbitat Deluxe Home– Best Expandable Indoor Cage
- 10 8. Kaytee My First Home Cage– Best Multi-Level Cage for Indoor or Outdoor
- 11 9. Prevue Hendryx Black Feisty Cage– Best Cage Overall
- 12 Guinea Pigs Cage Buying Guide
- 13 Cage Size Requirements
- 14 Safety Requirements
- 15 The cage needs to have a solid surface at the base with no wire grates.
- 16 Choose cages with easy to clean and safe materials.
- 17 The cage you buy should be easily accessible.
- 18 The bar spacing of your cage is supposed to be small to avoid escape.
- 19 Open-top Versus Cages with Lids
- 20 Multiple Levels in Cages
- 21 Common Features to Look For
- 22 Share this:
Best Guinea Pig Cage Reviews
1. Midwest Guinea Habitat Plus– Best for One Guinea Pig
- Provides 8 square feet of living area for guinea pigs as recommended by...
- Fully removable wire mesh top to protect your guinea pig from predators; The...
- Durable, leak proof, washable and easily removable PVC lined canvas bottom...
Midwest Guinea-Habitat Plus comes as an ideal cage when you have only a single guinea pig. It features 8 square feet living space for your guinea pig. This is the exact area recommended by Veterinarians and Breeders.
Green – It sports a removable wire mesh top protecting your pig from predators and ensuring that the pig doesn’t leave the cage. Its multi-access folding top and divider panel makes the unit versatile. Each panel features hinged ramps or doors that separate the play from the care areas. At the bottom, the unit features a leak proof, washable and removable PVC lined canvas. This makes the unit easy to take care of, protects your house from the guinea pigs urine and provides traction and protection for the sensitive feet of your guinea pigs.
The sides of the cage are 14 inches high, providing a secure and convenient access to your guinea pigs. Its strong construction makes it suitable for indoor and outdoor use. You can assemble it in a few minutes without the need for any tools. With purchase, you are offered a one-year manufacturer’s warranty.
The cage is recommend for all those who need a simple one pig cage for use indoors or outdoors.
- Spacious enough for a one-pig cage, allowing your pig to play
- Sting construction for outdoor or indoor use
- The PVC lined bottom makes it easy to clean
- No caster wheels for transportation
2. Mid West Homes for Pets Dog Crate | iCrate Single Door
- ICrate the 'All Inclusive Dog Crate' includes free divider panel, durable dog...
- Medium double door folding dog crate ideal for dog breeds with adult weight of...
- Your dog's home while you're away from home: Durable design creates a safe place...
The Amazon Basics Single-Door Folding Crate is ideal for adult guinea pigs and it can hold two or more pigs. This is a metal folding crate that offers great convenience when you need to access your guinea pigs at any time. The crate folds flat when not in use, making it easy to store and transport.
Each crate measures 36 by 23 by 25 inches, making it ideal for more than a single guinea pig. It is designed with a single door, fitted with secure slide-bolt latches. The top is made of wire mesh, offering strength and ventilation while allowing you to view your guinea pig. It is designed with an optional divider panel, which lets you reduce or expand the space. This is suitable when you have two guinea pigs you do not want to meet.
Yellow – At the bottom, the unit is fitted with a removable composite plastic pan, which is easy to clean and is comfortable on the feet of your guinea pig. Each unit is created durable, folds with great ease, and sets up within minutes.
It is recommended for pet owners who have more than one pig and need a durable cage to keep their pigs.
- Spacious to accommodate more than one pig
- Strong wire mesh construction for durability and value for money
- Composite plastic pan is durable
- Bulky for transportation
- Tall cage, making access relatively challenging
3. Living World Deluxe Habitat– Best Hybrid Guinea Pig Cage
- Habitat that provides everything you need for safely housing a small...
- Small animal cage is designed with an upper wire frame and a plastic bottom...
- Includes a balcony with access ramp and small animal hideout, tip proof...
The Living World Deluxe habitat is offered at a relatively high price, but it features all the accessories you will need for your guinea pig’s health and fun. Put simply, it has the necessary features, making it suitable for use indoors or outdoors. It is a hybrid cage designed with an upper wire frame for visibility, ventilation and durability, and a plastic bottom pan. The bottom pan is relatively deep, protecting your small guinea pigs from drought. It provides a safe and comfortable place to play and live.
The cage is fitted with a curvy balcony with a simple access ramp. It is further fitted with a tip-proof food dish secured to the balcony floor. The cage is available in different sizes and you can even get X-large size and other smaller sizes. It is also offered with a water can holder fitted on the side wall.
Green – The x-large size measures 46-8/9-inch in length by 22-4/5-inch in width by 24-inch height. It is ideal for large guinea pigs. For more than one pig, you can put them in this cage. On the bottom plastic pan, the unit is fitted with a small hiding place for your pet. This hiding space protects the pet from cold and also acts as a good sleeping area.
- Offered with feeding and watering accessories
- Features an additional hiding space
- Available in three sizes at different prices to meet your needs
- Relatively expensive
4. Pawhut 64-Inch Wooden Outdoor Cage – Best Cage for Outdoor Use
- ✅COMPACT FOOTPRINT: Its compact, low footprint design easily fits a smaller...
- ✅WELL DESIGNED: Designed with your pet in mind, the corner enclosed area is...
- ✅EASILY ACCESSIBLE: We' e made things simple for you with a side door and top...
When you need to keep your furry friend outdoors, the Pawhut 64-inch cage comes as a suitable unit. It is designed for security while offering enough space for your guinea pigs to play and rest. The unit is fitted with a hutch on one end where your small pets can hide, and a spacious living area where your pets can have a run and have fun. The wooden hutch is made of all-weather resistant materials for durability. The enclosed area is good for privacy, rest, and protection from elements.
The top of the cage can be opened or closed to access the pet, feed it, and water. Its play area is fitted with tight wire spacing, keeping your pet safe outdoors while enhancing visibility and ventilation. Its fir wood material, weather resistant composite asphalt roof, and high quality mesh wire makes the cage long lasting.
Yellow – This being an outdoor cage, its 62.3 pounds weight is relatively light. It is large enough to accommodate more than one guinea pig with its base measuring 64 by 64 inches. However, the cage does not collapse for storage and transport. It is recommended if you have or plan to have more than one guinea pig to keep outdoors.
- Large living space, offering space for more than one guinea pig
- Designed with an enclosed area to protect the pigs at night
- Made of strong and high quality materials
- Not collapsible for easy storage and transport
5. Homey Pet 37-Inch Open Top Cage– Best Stackable Cage
- STACKABLE Cage; Size: L37"xW22"xH31"; Side Bar Space: 1", Floor Grid Bar Space:...
- Open top makes it easier to put your dog/animal in and out
- Lockable casters provide more convenience to move the cage. Floor grid keeps...
The Homey Pet 37-Inch Open Top Cage is a heavy duty all-steel cage designed to be stacked on top of other cages. Its steel construction features a non-toxic hammer spray coat that protects it from rust and other elements. Its premium quality gives it a long functional life while its open top design makes it easy for you to put your guinea pig and remove it.
Each unit is fitted with heavy-duty caster wheels with an improved lockable design, ensuring that it does not spoil your carpet and it is easy to move. At the bottom, the cage is fitted with ABS plastic of thickness 0.21 inches. This removable tray makes it easy for you to clean the cage. The plastic bottom is safe on the sensitive feet of your guinea pig.
Yellow – The security of the doors at the top is enhanced by the auto-lock latches with optional hook chain for increased security. The floor grid, which is made of wire mesh is removable, making it easy for you to clean. If you buy a few cages, you can stack them on top of each other. This allows you to save more space in your house.
Each unit can accommodate animals up to 70 pounds. This makes the cage suitable if you have several guinea pigs. Its interior height is 25 inches and the spacing on the side bar is 1 inch.
- Stackable design to save space
- All steel construction makes it durable
- Heavy duty casters for easy transportation
- Easy to set up with no tools
- Feels bulky
6. You&Me Living the Dream Small Animal Cage– Best Indoor Rabbit Cage
The You&Me Living the Dream Small Animal Cage sports a horde of good features that make it a great habitat for your small furry friends. It is a large cage fitted with a deep bottom pan, protecting your pig from elements. The top part is made of all-steel mesh, which offers enough ventilation while making your pet visible. Its strong construction makes it long lasting.
Every unit comes easy to assemble. You only need to snap the wire mesh top to the plastic bottom and you are good to go. It is fitted with a ramp and a second level platform for playful pets. The cage is designed with top and front doors, making it easily accessible. The doors are fitted with latches, allowing you to secure them with ease.
The caster wheels added at the bottom are removable for convenience and mobility. The wire mesh top collapses when not in use for easy storage. The unit is recommended if you have one or two guinea pigs.
- Offered with removable caster wheels
- Large pan at the bottom to protect your furry friend
- Has a second level platform for playful pigs
- Superior quality materials for durability
- Inserting wheels is relatively challenging
7. Wabbitat Deluxe Home– Best Expandable Indoor Cage
- Rabbit Cage includes FREE hay feeder, water bottle, feeding bowl & elevated...
- Rabbit Cage measures 39.5 L x 23.75 W x 19.75 H inch providing a large living...
- Rabbit Cage features 5.5" deep base to contain litter & convenient top / full...
The Wabbitat Deluxe home is designed with a large and expandable living space, offering maximum comfort for small pets. Every unit is designed to assemble and disassemble quickly without any tools. It comes ready to use with accessories such as removable hay feeder, feeding bowl, and a water bottle. The cage has an elevated feeding area beneath which there is a privacy space. The stationary feeding bowl reduce spills when feeding.
Each Wabbitat Deluxe habitat is designed with an 8.5-inch deep plastic pan, which is easy to clean. The pan has messes and litter. Each unit is fitted with a durable powder coated wire mesh top with 1 inch spacing, allowing ventilation and visibility. The unit is fitted with full-width side door that opens and closes with ease. It also has a large top door, allowing you to access the pets with ease for feeding, watering, and cleaning.
You are offered two optional extensions including an add-on wire litter with nesting area and a wood hutch. These extensions are sold separately. This unit is recommended for those who need a small, but expandable cage offered at a great price.
- Deep plastic bottom pan to protect the guinea pigs from elements
- Cage is expandable to accommodate many guinea pigs
- Offered with a hiding place for rest and protection
- Offered with all needed accessories
- The water bottle is relatively less durable
8. Kaytee My First Home Cage– Best Multi-Level Cage for Indoor or Outdoor
The Kaytee My First Home Cage comes as a multi-level cage designed for playful guinea pigs. It is engineered for indoor or outdoor use. Even though the multiple levels make the cage bulky, it is suitable when you have two or more pigs. On every level there is a platform on which your pigs can rest and play. At the bottom, there is a hiding place that protects your pig from elements and predators at night.
Each unit is designed with a deep base that holds litter and bedding, and prevents it from spilling out. This deep plastic pan also protects your furry friend from drought and other elements. The solid plastic shelves on each level are well secured for your pig’s fun and healthy activities. These platforms are easy to clean.
Its 1/2-inch wire spacing makes the unit suitable for small guinea pigs while protecting the pigs from predators. The front door with easy to close latch allows fast access. Buy this unit if you need a multi-level unit for two or more pigs.
- Multi-level for pet’s fun and healthy activities
- Made of 1/2-inch wire mesh spaces to prevent escapes
- Deep plastic pan bottom protects guinea from drought
- Relatively expensive
9. Prevue Hendryx Black Feisty Cage– Best Cage Overall
- Spacious cage provides room for even the most energetic ferret
- Includes 2 Plastic Platforms, 3 Plastic Ramps, 1 Hammock and Grille
- Escape-proof large hinged doors
The Prevue Hendryx Black Feisty Cage is a multi-level cage for small pets. It features an all-steel top and a deep plastic bottom pan. It accommodates multiple pigs. It is a perfect type if you have space to keep a large cage indoors or outdoors. It is spacious to accommodate even the most playful and energetic guinea pigs.
It is fitted with 3 platforms on each of its three levels. The three ramps on the three levels of the cage are securely fitted on the side walls, making them safe for your pigs. On the bottom level, a small hammock is fitted to enhance the fun and health activities that your furry friend engages in. The unit is fitted with large front doors with strong hinges, making the cage escape proof.
At the bottom of the cage is a space saving shelf where you can keep toys and treats among other things. The unit is created strong and durable. Each cage measures 31-Inch long by 20-inch wide by 54-inch high. The spacing between wires is 7/8-inch.
For mobility, the cage is fitted with strong and large caster wheels. This unit is recommended when you have playful guinea pigs and you have space to keep a large unit.
- Made of superior quality materials for durability
- Offered at a great price to accommodate different budgets
- Escape and theft proof
- Features an additional hammock for fun activities
- Needs a large space
Guinea Pigs Cage Buying Guide
One of the most crucial decisions to be made when you are about to buy a guinea pig is which cage to buy – a cage needs to be safe, be the right size, and offer you value for money.
Cage Size Requirements
The ideal cage should provide at least 7.5 inches square feet of open space to accommodate one or two guinea pigs. You will also need an extra 1.5 sq. ft of running space if you are to add a guinea pig. An open running space means a rectangular or square space, which is uninterrupted by ramps or other connections.
Having an appropriately sized cage for your guinea pig is advantageous as it does not get dirty quickly. This ensures that less ammonia is created and this keeps your pigs healthy. When the cage is appropriately sized, the guinea pigs will exercise on their own. This increases their lifespan and reduces risk of obesity related health concerns.
The market is full of guinea pig cage types. Some of the guinea pigs’ cages on the market are so small and may not accommodate your furry friend properly. Granted, you might find yourself buying a cage meant for rabbits or puppies to fit your pigs. Different cages are offered with different plans. While some have plain flat open spaces, others are fitted with platforms and ramps, which reduce space.
The cage needs to have a solid surface at the base with no wire grates.
Wire floors might feel like a great idea as they allow droppings to pass through. This will keep the guinea pigs house safe, but serious damage can result on the feet of your pigs if they step on wire all the time. Pressing their feet on wire all day causes bumble foot, a painful food condition. The feet may become swollen or even infected. To prevent feet conditions, ensure that you buy a cage with a flat bottom.
Choose cages with easy to clean and safe materials.
A good cage should last you a lifetime. To enhance the lifespan of the cage, choose a sturdy plastic base pan and a steel top with an easy to clean coat. The pan should be easy to clean and bleach without worry of cracking. Powder coated or PVC coated steel top is easy to clean and durable.
The cage you buy should be easily accessible.
Most cages are offered with double doors – one at the top and another at the sides. While looking at the doors, consider the lids, latches, hinges, and other parts of the door. The door should be large enough to allow you access when you are feeding, watering, cleaning, or removing the pet. For outdoor cages, the door needs to be easily lockable. If a cage has additional openings, ensure that they do not facilitate escape.
The bar spacing of your cage is supposed to be small to avoid escape.
Most guinea pig cages feature a 1-inch bar spacing with horizontal and vertical bars. If you have baby guinea pigs less than two months old, they might squeeze through the spaces. For these, you will need a unit with a deep bottom pan from which the small guinea pigs cannot climb out. Otherwise, you can choose cages with less than 1/2-inch bar spaces.
Open-top Versus Cages with Lids
Guinea pigs are not good at climbing or jumping. Granted, a cage with a top lid is not necessary. If you have small children you need to keep off the cages, buy one with a lid. An outdoor cage should have a lid to protect your pets from theft and predators.
An open-top cage is suitable when you need to interact with your pet and when you need easy access. If you have cats and dogs, always choose cages with lids.
Multiple Levels in Cages
Some cage types are offered with additional levels. Guinea pigs have heavy bodies with short legs. When you need them to exercise, you need to make special considerations. You need to ensure there are no heights that your pig can fall from. Multi-level cages might be risky as pigs can injure themselves when climbing from one level to the next. You need to take precautions, therefore, when choosing a multi-level cage.
Additional levels need to have additional walls that act as guard rails – these protect the pigs from rolling over. The ramps need to be long to ensure that incline level is maintained at a minimum. It is also advisable to have texture or ridges on the solid surface.
Common Features to Look For
A good cage will meet your need and fit your situation. Some of the factors that you need to consider include:
- Will you be moving your cage often? You might need a commercial cage with caster wheel. The cage also needs to be collapsible and easy to set up.
- Do you need an open cage at times and closed cage at other times? If the answer is yes, choose a cage that features a to removable lid.
- If you have a carpeted floor, choose a cage with a deep pan. This ensures that the beddings and litter do not leave the cage and fall off.
- For elderly guinea pigs, choose a flat cage as they may not move up the levels. If you have a multi-level cage, ensure that the levels are removable.
The best guinea pig cages are easy to choose – consider the number and age of guinea pigs you have and your budget and start shopping. A good cage should be durable, easy to set up and disassemble, and should also be easy to clean. You can choose one of the cages above based on the needs of your guinea pigs.