Among those outdoor activities nowadays, I observe that hunting seems to be popular with a great number of people due to its challenging missions and interesting thoughts when playing. People pay attention to this type of outdoor sport not only to release the stressful thoughts but to catch up with social life around us as well.
If you have not known about best trail camera reviews (also known as game camera reviews), they are the camera which helps individuals observing the game when they have to focus on other tasks. With this device, players can take or record an image and easily transfer them to the SD card on their laptop memory.
Top 3 Best Trail Camera: Editor’s Pick
Best Trail Camera Reviews:
When attending in some outdoor activities including the hunting games, I highly recommend that you and your partners should prepare high quality and useful gears for supporting their games. For example, the clothes, gears, and even some best game camera as well.
For those who are still confused in picking their own camera, here are some game camera reviews 2018 for you to consider whether you like them or not. They all from the great quality brand with useful features for supporting the games.
1. Stealth Cam G42 No-Glo Trail Game Camera STC-G42NG
Come with the 10.0 Megapixel and 4 Resolutions, this game camera allows you to record your video with 5 seconds. Even better, you can reach up to 180 sec when creating audio during the hunting process. When using this type of device, most people often worry about the natural lights which can release bad quality images. However, the retina low light sensitivity is designed with the modern technology.
As a result, it can catch the light even in details and clear in small corners. Opposite to the daytime, nights are periods that you often find it hard to record a video. To help solve this problem, the Matrix Advanced helps blurry and reduce the wind to offer you some clearer shots.
In term of design, this game camera offers you the compact and capable features when using. It has the backlit menu for programming all the process. Besides the great design, this trail camera has parts for showing the features such as moon-phase, temperature and date for the game. In the best game camera, there is one tag for you to put your name. For better security, this allows you to save your password as well. It is great, isn’t it?
2. Browning Strike Force Sub Micro 10MP Game Camera
According to some game camera reviews, this game camera is said to offer individuals with effective features in such an affordable price. When using, it releases the lightning which is faster roughly 0.67 seconds in the trigger time. Similar to the model before, I have researched that this one allows you to record your videos in 2 minutes and audio with sounds up to 5 seconds in length.
When owning this best game camera, you will be amazed by its significant functions and performances. Goes along with the better flash, you are more likely to receive better and clearer shots about surrounded things during hunting challenges. To illustrate, it can easily shot the image of animals which is more than 50 feet.
With Browning Strike Force Sub Micro 10MP Game Camera, batteries seem to stay longer compared to other models. In term of exterior design, the catchy and impressive outlook is suitable for those who love the stunning appearance. Outside the camera, there has been one frame for protecting all the buttons and programs for you when using as well.
3. Bushnell Trophy Cam HD Essential E3 Trail Camera, Brown
Among those models, this top trail camera seems to appear with the stunning appearance and catchy design. Developed with the modern technology, this camera has 16 MP high-quality color resolution goes along with the sensor that you can utilize for during the day from day until night. In addition, the PIR sensor is being functioned for roughly 45 minutes.
In terms of capacity, this device utilizes one set of battery for up to one year. For those individuals, they often worry when using this device during the rainy season. However, this model is designed with waterproof materials. Therefore, your card slot will be protected effectively.
In the market, this Bushnell 6MP Trophy Cam Essential Trail Camera with Night Vision is designed to fulfill the needs of rehabilitee and great performance for individuals. Has the Field Scan 2x time-lapse technology, it can shot two separated pictures in just some frames. In addition, the screen can especially control the dawn and dusk at the same time for offering the high-quality images.
On the other hand, this Bushnell trail camera can be plugged into a computer’s USB port. However, there was no USB connector included in the product items based on the researches of some trail camera reviews.
4. Covert Scouting Camera Blackhawk 12MP Verizon Wireless Trail Game Cam – 5120
Covert Scouting Camera Blackhawk 12MP Verizon Wireless Trail Game Cam – 5120 is one camera which was designed to make your outdoor games become better. With the wireless MMS camera, I sure you will love this model from even the first glance since you can text message, photo through the mobile or even the email address.
Offering this type of technology, you can feel free to observe the games without having to look at the camera or do anything with the SD card. When mentioning about the capacity of Flash LED, this one offer the flash ranged more than 60 feet. On the other hand, the CODE BLACK not only creates the chance for you to shot animal around the wildlife but serve some personal purposes well.
However, when using this game camera, you must prepare one decent phone whenever you install in the wildlife. Moreover, you will need a separate phone for installing the camera’s sim whenever you want to receive the new message. For beginners who have just used this device for the first time, it is very easy to set up.
5. Moultrie M-990i No Glow Game Camera Reviews
Designed with the basic color as white, it brings the exclusive and simple outlook for this Moultrie M-990I game camera. Although offering you the capacity of 10.0 megapixels, the speed for making trigger is less than 1 second. A little bit pity, right?
When observing the image during the day, it brings lots of benefits for you. To illustrate, you can see clear and detailed images when shooting during the daytime. However, the images at night are in black and white color. Although they are looked less clear; however, it is still easy and amazing to see the surrounding things.
On the other hand, there is an aiming mode so that you can measure the distance where your best game camera is being triggered (a red light glows). And don’t forget to utilize this mode when you first setup the Moultrie to check your range.
6. Stealth Cam 8MP 30IR Game Camera
Stealth G30 is a Triad armed camera that offers a range of 8, 4 and 2 MP. The Retina technology of the camera allows recording higher quality photos even in low light. For night recording, it features the matrix blur reduction that helps to reduce the motion blur.
The 30 infrared emitters have a range of 80 feet. The video with audio recording can have the length between 5 to 180 seconds. The trigger speed for Stealth G30 is 1 second, while in Burst Mode it’s 1 to 9 images per trigger.
7. Moultrie PANORAMIC 150 Game Camera
The outstanding feature of the Moultrie Panoramic 150 wildlife camera is its super-wide digital images. It covers 3 times the area of other typical game cameras. Its detection area covers 150-degree field of view. This gives that elusive animal virtually nowhere to hide. It’s perfect for wildlife watching and also makes a good choice for home security installation.
The camera detects heat and movement in the 45 feet range with the PIR motion sensor. For taking pictures, there are several modes you can choose from. The multi-shot mode records several photos of the animal after its motion was detected. The panoramic mode takes a series of 3 photos with the animal in different positions and then combines them into one panoramic photo. The single mode for capturing just a single photo. The time-lapse mode for triggering the camera at certain intervals that you can set according to your needs. The hybrid mode can be used for triggering the trail cam by both PIR motion sensor and the set time-lapse.
Panoramic 150 features Low Glow technology that makes the camera minimally intrusive. For night illumination, the device is equipped with 30 LEDs and Motion Freeze technology. The model records both photos and videos.
8. Bushnell 8MP Trophy Cam HD LED Trail Camera with Night Vision
Our choice of best trail cam for the money is Bushnell Trophy Cam HD which is also available in the mid-price range. It also offers both 8MP full color resolution photos along with HD video recording. It can be used for any outdoor applications, including home security, wildlife monitoring, surveillance and scouting game.
One of the best features of this camera is the lightning fast trigger and recovery speed. The motion sensor has a range of 60 feet. The device is equipped with an auto PIR (Passive Infra-Red) sensor that monitors the temperature and then accordingly adjusts the trigger signal sensitivity.
The video recording comes with audio, providing the most vivid viewing. Its maximum length is 60 seconds.Bushnell Trophy Cam HD features a night vision mode, for which the camera is equipped with 32 LEDs. This gives the brightest possible after-dark pictures in the range of 60 feet.
The settings offer convenient flexibility. You can set it to operate either at night or day only, or it can be full 24 hours. Also, using the Field Scan time lapse mode you can set the camera to take images at pre-set intervals.
9. Moultrie M-880 Low Glow Trail Camera
Moultrie M-880 is an improved model of the M-80XT deer camera. The improvements include HD video, a faster trigger speed and longer night range.
The 8.0 megapixel trail cam uses Low Glow infrared technology. It does not produce a bright flash so will not spook the game when taking the picture. The trigger speed is less than a second, and the picture delay can be as short as 5 seconds.
The Moultrie M-880 can reach out with the flash as far as 100 feet. The bright and clear nighttime images are provided by the Illumi Night sensor. Additionally, the Motion Freeze reduces the image blurriness.
The video is recorded in high definition at 720p quality. For giving you additional scouting information, the video also captures sound.
There M-880 features four operational modes: time lapse mode for recording at set intervals, infrared triggered recording, HD video for day and night, and plot camera by day and motion triggered image taking at night.
10. Day 6 Plotwatcher Pro HD Game Camera
Day 6 Plotwatcher takes photos at regular intervals and unlike others does not use a motion sensor for triggering the camera. The interval can range from 5 to 10 seconds. After mounting the unit at your stand location and setting it up, the camera will continuously take pictures from dawn to dusk.
After capturing all the day action, the Day 6 Plotwatcher condenses all the images into a 10-minute HD time-lapse video. So you can view the whole day animal activity in just minutes. The GameFind and MotionSearch software makes it a breeze to review the daily videos.
One more feature that makes this game camera stand out among other models is the greater field of view. The cam can catch images of the game no matter how far or near they are. It’s not triggered by short-range motion, so the area it captures can be 30 to 300 feet. This allows you to better see and analyze animal’s game patterns.
The long battery life can last up to a full month of time-lapse coverage with one single set of batteries, or in other measures one million video images.
Advantages of Best Trail Camera
Similar to other outdoor sports, hunting game is becoming more effective and interesting when you have prepared enough high-quality gears for the process. However, most people often fail in targeting their own goals due to the bad items. Therefore, why we need to prepare all those things? This part will help you to understand more about the advantages of those trail camera reviews.
- This device is comfortable and handy to bring around during the game. Since those images from the game have become very popular with people who have attended. The first advantage that you can get is the detailed pictures about your goals.
- For beginners, they use this for observing the animal. Even better, those professional hunters often utilize this type of devices for understanding more about the activities as well as the living habitat of those animals. As a result, some of those best game cameras are ideal items for both the normal individuals as well as professional hunters.
- With the modern technology nowadays, game camera is designed with various designs and styles for you to pick up. Also, they were produced with the flash for long distance shoot. In addition, these devices offer clear pictures during the daytime and nights as well.
- When purchasing one game camera, you can experience the sense between quality and significant variety.
Buying Guide: What to Look for When Choose The Trail Camera?
Purchasing one best game camera is not always easy. You have to pay attention to various features, for example the outlook, capacity or even the lifespan of the battery. Since there are various models in the market today which are more likely to make individuals overwhelm. Let’s take a glimpse to follow steps and you can succeed in picking an ideal one for yourself.
1 Image Quality
In fact, you often choose to pick up one camera with high megapixels. Try not to be fooled by this criteria. Most manufacturers often fool their customers with the high-quality megapixels to encourage them to buy. However, they offer the normal lens and they even reduce the quality of the images.
To solve this problem, you can evaluate the quality of image by looking at two periods of time including daytime and night. There are some models which can easily shot detailed images; however, others do not.
2. Battery and Power lifespan
Obviously, the rated trail camera with long-lasted battery not only helps save your budget, but also remain the capacity of your camera as well. When you place your camera where there happens lots of activities, then it won’t take too long to prepare for the shoot which can take lots of time and power.
And when purchasing your own camera from those trail camera reviews, a 4D battery is more likely to cost more money compared to the 4 AA one that offers 20.000 images during the game.
3. Trigger time
In fact, most people maybe including you will not pay much attention on the speed of your best game camera. As a result, they often feel frustrated about this feature when taking them home and see their first photo. Take a deeper look, the trigger time is known as the period when the animal takes into frames until when your camera takes the photos.
If you intend to place the camera on the food plot or some pack backs, then the speed of your trigger is not a great problem. However, during the game, individuals will receive more pictures about the butts of deer rather than their head. And it will make the game less interesting.
Different Types of Trail Camera
This type of camera seems to shoot the images and transfer them into your phone through the internet. Similar to your mobile phone, you have to prepare one simple sim and place into the camera slot. For some models of top trail camera, individuals may have to set up the GSM networks and purchase for one pack of data when they want to use this camera.
Designed with the sensor that can experience motions, you will feel free when observing those movements from your picture lens. In addition, this camera is very easy to install and use even for beginners.
Wireless Wi-Fi Camera:
As its name has mentioned, this camera allows you to transfer your video and image without having to use the wireless network. And don’t forget to set up your network for receiving devices when you want to make the connection for both of them.
With the modern technology, this one not only offers the innovative functions but very friendly to users as suggested in various game camera reviews as well. Since they are designed with no wire, this is one most interesting and comfortable feature which catch the attention of most users.
Actually, people tend to install the camera in their house nowadays to follow what is happening. Even for those business places, this is necessary for protecting the safety of individuals. Similar to those purposes, this one is designed for people who have to stay in the hunting area temporarily.
To fulfill the needs at the moment, this one is an ideal device for them to choose. For observing the surrounding things, the security cameras are more likely to offer you footage as evidence for everything.
To solve the problem, those Infrared Cameras allow users to follow and take video when it is necessary. With the cameras for utilizing during the nights, these features and designs are especially better and higher compared to those normal one. In addition, these devices can automatically switch the infrared function on and off.
Besides hunters, some scientists have also utilized those cameras for giving the detailed and clear resolution photos when making researches.
Especially, Flash Cameras are used ideally for taking pictures during the nights. When the surrounding places are getting darker, they will offer the flash for detailed pictures. Also, you can utilize this type of camera during the daytime and nights as well.
Memory of Trail Camera
When mentioning about the memory, there are two types including the SD card and internal memory. Obviously, utilizing the internal memory means that you don’t have to invest your money on an SD card. However, SD card offers you more space and storage for those videos and images during the game.
When using an internal memory, you can transfer the image through your laptop using a cable and plugin. However, with an SD card, individuals can purchase the one which offer the suitable storage. According to some game camera reviews, SD card allows individuals to take it out of the plot and pop into the laptop space.
Top Trail & Game Camera Brands
Developed from an American company, this brand is well-known by a great number of people in the hunting aspect. Besides producing gears related to hunting, there are other items such as optics, night vision equipment and imaging.
When mentioning about the best game camera, they offer various designs go along with affordable prices. It does not matter which type of trail camera you intend to buy, Bushnell offers all of those types.
With this brand, they offer the equipment for observing both the home surveillance and natural activities. In term of capacity, individuals will receive the pictures made from high resolution and detailed colors.
Among those game camera reviews in the market, Primos offers various types of product that you can utilize for outdoor sports, especially hunting. Besides those trail camera, there are also optics and firearms for those who care. Especially, this brand is preferred by the quality and outlook of their products. When researching about Primos, you can have chances to buy one high-quality model with an affordable price.
Similar to those brands above, Browning is also considered as one of the best brands that offer game camera for individuals. In addition, this brand also offers great features when purchasing their best game camera including fast trigger speed, high-quality image and night vision infrared illumination.
How to Use Trail Camera?
1. How to use trail camera for searching animals?
Trail camera works automatically to capture images or videos where it is fixed. Users make some mistakes and cannot get required results of trailing by these cams. Before installing a trail-cam, you must be aware of these mistakes. Actually, trail cam helps you in conducting studies and getting information about animals and birds in different areas. In the light of images and videos taken by the cam on different locations, you make your gaming strategies.
Collecting information about residence and areas of animals’ movement is very important for successful hunting. Wondering in the search of prey without pre-mission work is just like traveling through a jungle without maps or guide. Keeping in view the significance of pre-mission work, we have collected few tips and tricks to track the movements of animals in the woods with the help of trail cams. These tips and tricks have been derived from the experiences of professional hunters and animal/bird searchers.
Selecting location for trail camera in the woods:
Although, a cam is helpful to track the location and movements of animals; however, selection of location is your own responsibility. A cam has to take images as you set it. So, select a location where there is possibility of frequent movements of animals. Considering the following points can be helpful selecting suitable location to install the trail camera.
- Usually, the animals reside in groups nearer to food sources of their choice. If you are searching for deer/bucks, you must know that they are usually found in grassy areas in the woods. Therefore, installing cams at such locations can help you to monitor their movements in a better way.
- You must also know the paths/routes leading to lakes where the animals go for drinking water. Installation of cams on these passageways provides you more information about animals. This information further helps you to make successful game strategy.
- Real wildlife exists away from human population and busy roads. If you install the cams close to such places, you will never be able to find your game. So, be brave and select deep woods to install cams for trailing. The hunting is a hobby to be accomplished in the woods not on the roads/streets.
Things to Consider for Installation of Trail Camera:
Correct installation of trail cam is very important for getting clear images and videos clips at any location. The following points are necessary to keep in mind for installation of cams.
- Knowledge about size and built of the animal you are searching for is important for installation of cameras. Install the cam parallel or slightly higher but focusing according to the height of buck.
- Presence of other animals in the area must also be considered because many animals like monkeys and bears take serious notice for happening unusual things near their habitats. They can harm your cam. So, keeping in view the presence of such animals, take necessary measures like making a hard box to save the device from damage in case of bear or monkey attack.
- Making a survey for requirements of cams is always helpful to estimate the number of cams required for any particular area. In this connection, include all the possible locations like passageways and food points in the list.
- You must be able to distinguish the footprints of animals; so, you could be able to track the routes of your concerned animal. Also, fix the cams on the routes of animals you want to track.
- Serviceability of the cameras must be ensured to get better results. Trail cams are based on technology and run through software. Before installing the cam at location, make sure that you have updated cam firmware.
- Installation of multiple cams at the location may lead to confusion while correlating the images and the videos. Before fixing, allocate a serial number to every camera. It will help you to observe the movement of animal from one camera to the next one and so on.
- Trail cam is sensitive to movements as well. Cam does not know that which movement is to be captured and which should not be. It will capture every movement on the focus. Fix the cam allowing the clear view of focal point, so that all the images are of your required buck.
- The best clear picture of a buck can be taken when buck stands facing towards cam. In this connection, you can put some food favorite for the buck at focused point. You can get more pictures with clear view because it will engage the buck in front of cam for longer time.
Precautions for Using and Monitoring of Trail Cameras:
You cannot cash your efforts until you are fully attentive to overcome the dangers and complications for fixing cams in the woods. There are many other factors for chasing a specific buck in the woods but here you will find the complications regarding trail cams. Taking the following precautionary measures, at least you can achieve cam related targets successfully.
Right angle to the target: Hanging the camera higher than the highest of bucks is common mistake leading to unclear or blank photos. A cam hanged with large angle pointing downward makes it more sensitive and it triggers quickly with the movement. Moreover, an angled cam does not provide detailed image of the buck. Therefore, the maximum angle of a cam to the animal height must be 45 degree.
Protection against sunlight: Direct sunlight on the cam leaves two unavoidable complications, which badly affects the image or the video result. First issue is sensitivity to the light and heat because the cam operates itself and starts taking images due to direct heat. The second one is quality of images taken in the presence of direct sunlight on the lens of camera. So, never fix your trail camera focusing towards sunlight (east or west). The recommended position by the experienced hunters of the cam focus is north.
Theft proof mounting: Theft is common issues everywhere in the world. Therefore, leaving the cam alone in the woods is more prone to stolen. Although, you cannot completely rollout this factor; however, you can minimize by anti theft mounting techniques.
Avoid unnecessary activities in trail area: Wild animals do not move freely when they observe unusual movements in their area. Do not go frequently for checking photos and videos of the cam once you have set it. Be patient and leave the cam to work until SD card is full. Just go and replace SD card and check images through your PC.
Install best quality batteries: As you know that frequent movements in the area leads to scaring off the bucks. You must install best quality batteries that would work for longer time. Long lasting batteries will decrease your frequent visits of the cam locations.
Setting of trigger time: Setting the cam at trail mode needs attractive approach for taking pictures. Moreover, keeping the detection zone wider provides you more clear pictures with detailed background. Select the trail cam on shoot faster for better results.
Benefits of Trail Cam for Hunting:
The following benefits can be availed using trail camera for wildlife study and tracking bucks and other animals in the woods.
- Low glow Trail cams work perfectly, because they are invisible at the location.
- Being manufactured with hard material, these cams provide uninterrupted functioning even during bad weather conditions.
- Setting at trail mode allows you to get best capturing results. In trail-mode, the cam sense only movements on the focal point. This feature preserves battery time and SD card space by avoiding unnecessary capturing.
2. How to use trail camera for home security?
Home security can be made foolproof if you succeed to install the cams correctly. The series of trail cams installed at home, work as scout gaud and help you to find out what happened in your absence. Spending thousands of dollars on purchasing trail cams is only beneficial when you are able to use these cams perfectly to gain the desired results. Consequently, you must know how to install and use these cams for home security.
In this article some important factors have also been unveiled which are usually neglected by the trail cam users. Resultantly, they cannot achieve the required goal for which they have spent thousands of dollars on buying cams.
The element of improvement in the security measures always exists; therefore, you must be vigilant for frequently revising your strategy regarding home security. The basic rule of security is to allow possibly minimum access to other persons when making security plan. Similarly, the work for installation of cams must be kept as confidential. As much as you will keep your trail work secret, your security measures will be more effective and successful. So, keep your strategy confidential and accessible by minimum persons even by your family members too.
Possible locations for installation of trail cameras at home:
Being the homeowner, you are the person who knows better to select the location where you need to install trail cameras. Generally, cams are installed to track and identify intruders. Moreover, you can also install cams to identify any particular problem you may be facing. The following are some important places that generally need to be covered with cams; however, you may also need cams for other than these locations.
- Stores in the house keeping valuables need to be covered with the cams to capture the images in your absence.
- The second important place is garage usually a neglected and unprotected place for intruders to hide to carry out their dirty plan.
- For detailed monitoring of unusual activities, you can install cams at outer/main gate of the house.
- Pets are always under threat of theft and need to be covered with camera eye.
- Apart from the above-mentioned locations, you may have other belongings at home for protection for which you can add more cameras.
How to Install Trail Cameras for Home Security
Installation of the cams at different location of the house is complicated as compare to woods because you are building security layers against a human rather than animals. Hence, extra vigilance is required even to protect the cams from theft. Here are some useful tips for installing cams in the house.
- Before the installation of cams, you must check the serviceability and set capture modes as per your requirements.
- Camera must focus the upper torso of the human because it helps in quick identification of the trespasser captured in the cam.
- After installation, the cam must be camouflaged for its own security. In this connection, low glow trail cameras are very successful because they cannot be identified even during night.
Benefits of trail cam for home security:
Trail cams are popular in the USA and many other big markets of security cameras worldwide because of their features and easy handling. The following are few benefits of customers who purchase trail cameras for the security of their home or business center. Read another review: best fabric glue.
- User can install more trail cams for home security because they are cheaper than other security cameras. Thus, a cheap security can be availed in the form of trail cams.
- Trail cams give best capturing results and helps in identification of trespasser. Even during night, you can get clear images and video clips.
- Timely identification of problem is the best feature of trail cam that enables you to take timely remedial measures. Advanced trail cameras are featured with sending notifications for alarming you about something unusual happening at home.
Tips For Using The Trail Camera
Besides the significant designs, you have to pay attention to method of using your best game camera. As a result, apply the proper method not only produces the detailed and clear images but leverage your skills of hunting as well.
- Don’t face the camera into the sun – When doing this, the surrounding temperature is more likely to increase which can affect the vegetation. In fact, those trail camera is very sensitive to the heat and various movements.
- Leave it alone – most people often have the habit of checking the best trail camera. This is not encouraged since you may have scared the animal in some cases.
- Use high-quality batteries – You may often think that normal battery is not a big deal since you have to utilize the camera during the day. However, batteries with bad quality are more likely to lower the lifespan of your camera as well.
All above are some information that individuals can consider when purchasing their own best Trail camera? For those who still confuse among various models, let’s take a glance at some designs of trail camera reviews. I have mentioned above. They all from good brands which offer the significant and useful features. And besides the great designs, don’t forget to use your trail camera in the proper methods. As a result, this will not only produce the high-quality image during the game but remain the quality of your trail camera as well.